If you cannot get rid of the family skeleton, you may as well make it dance.
– George Bernard Shaw
Is it just me, or are families vastly different today than they were when we were kids?
That was a rhetorical question.
Comparing Grandma’s family to today’s standards is like comparing the morality of Mother Teresa to people like Madonna or Cher.
The Pew Research Center published information in 2015 that provided some interesting facts about the American Family:
- Two-parent households are on the decline;
- Divorce, remarriage, and cohabitation are on the rise;
- So are single-parent households (three-fold increase, now 1 in 4 kids live with a single parent);
- Americans are having fewer children (fertility is declining & women choosing workforce over motherhood);
- Black children and those with less educated parents are less likely to have a 2-parent household;
- 71% births among black women are non-martial, 53% for Hispanic women, 29% for white women;
- The majority of white, Hispanic and Asian kids live in a 2-parent household;
- 1 in 6 kids has a ‘blended family’ (stepparents/step-siblings/half-sibling);
- Even less stable marriages are more stable than cohabiting unions;
- In 4-in-10 families, mom is now the primary breadwinner (most common in black families-74%);
- Only 29% of mothers with kids under 18 are stay-at-home moms.
As bad as some of those statistics may seem, it wasn’t what caught my attention.
What got me was: There is no longer one dominant family form in the United States.
If the family unit is the ‘backbone’ of a country than doesn’t the deterioration of that backbone affect the rest of society?
It certainly does.
…and unless you’re completely blind, you can see the proof all around you.
I can look at the statistics above as good, bad or even feel indifferent about them (which I don’t)…but it wouldn’t change one simple fact:
The American Family is Hurting.
If you’re new on this blog and haven’t heard me talk about family, please know that I am NOT attacking any family or family structure out there.
Not only would that be wrong and cruel, it’s none of my business how you run your family!
Wanting to uplift, encourage, empower and invigorate your family is.
There’s A Movement Going On
With the horrid presidential election between Trump and Clinton, something incredible happened.
People woke up.
We were able for the first time in decades to see who was lying, who was truly for freedom, life, choice, we discovered that the mainstream media (AND many online outlets also) were corrupt scumbags.
…and people started finding one another.
Christian families discovered that they were the majority, not the minority…and they REACHED OUT TO EACH OTHER!
Connections were established.
Friendships were made.
…and a growing desire for tried and tested parenting techniques appeared.
Not to take the place of what already exists, but to help families find happiness in the circumstances they’re experiencing right now.
Personally, I think it’s beautiful and I want to help.
When you learn to parent with heart and by principle, not personalities, you’ll discover that you can have family success regardless of your current family structure.
Would you like to experience profound happiness & unity in your family?Click To Tweet
I can help you.
Your BIGGEST Fan!